Healthy workplaces are on everyone’s mind, especially for those of us who work there! If you are spending a lot of time at a desk or in front of your computer, it is vital to maintain your health.
A poorly designed work environment puts a strain on your neck, back, legs, and wrists, and contributes to fatigue, stress, and injury. You spend a lot of time in your office chair, so you should have one that is the best ergonomic office chairs designed and comfortable enough for extended use.
A few tips about ergonomics and buying the right chair can be found at the end of this article. Here, sorted by price from lowest to highest, are the top 10 best ergonomic office chairs that we have identified for you.
Top 10 Ergonomic Office Chairs at This Moment in The Market
AmazonBasics Mid-Back Office Chair
The Mid-Back Office Chair from AmazonBasics is a budget-friendly ergonomic chair. It is a functional and sensible chair for occasional use.
The AmazonBasics Mid-Back Office Chair offers pneumatic seat-height adjustment as well as recline options. Simply lean forward to raise the seat by pulling up on the control handle, or lower the seat while seated.
Pulling out the control handle allows you to tilt the back forward or backward. Push the handle back in to lock your tilt in place. Adjust the tilt tension with a knob underneath the chair, to determine your degree of movement.
The AmazonBasics Mid-Back Office Chair has a padded seat and back and is covered in black bonded leather. It is very comfortable to sit in even for extended periods. The armrests are curved and covered in textured nylon.
The one complaint experienced by some users was that the chair was not very durable and the armrests, in particular, seemed fragile. Users did not recommend it for use in a full-time job.
Dual-wheel casters roll easily and smoothly over any type of surface. Swivel the chair around 360 degrees to reach any area of your workspace.
Users found assembly quite easy, and most could accomplish it in less than 30 minutes.
The AmazonBasics Mid-Back Office Chair definitely won’t break your wallet, but on the other hand, you get what you pay for. For light or occasional use, this cheap office chair is perfectly serviceable with a professional look.
- The leather is comfortable
- Good cushion
- Very easy setup
- Easy to assemble
- Decent back support
- Adjustable height
- Ergonomic construction
- Provide 1-year warranty
- Comes in only one color
- Chair tilts a bit even when locked in place
- Come with a weight limit: 225 lbs
Alera Elusion Series Mesh Mid-Back Swivel/Tilt Chair
The Alera Elusion Series Mesh Mid-Back Swivel/Tilt Chair is an affordable and practical option. It has a classic design that promotes good posture.
The height of the seat is adjusted with a standard pneumatic lift. Arms adjust for height and width. Adjust the ratchet back height for the best lumbar support. The Alera Elusion Series is engineered with a multi-function seat glide mechanism to allow the back angle adjustment of the seat.
The Alera Elusion Series Mesh Mid-Back Chair is generously upholstered in 100% polyester. The seat has a waterfall-style edge instead of the usual straight edge, to help relieve pressure on your legs. The chair is designed with a cool, breathable mesh back. The back incorporates slightly firm lumbar support for your lower back. The arms of this chair are soft and padded as well.
The Alera Elusion Series Mesh Mid-Back Chair is very stable on a five-spoke base. Hooded dual-wheel casters provide easy mobility. Swivel and tilt freely through 360 degrees for maximum freedom of motion without getting up.
The 100% polyester upholstery delivers a tough and resilient chair surface. It dries quickly for no-fuss cleanup. Polyester is also resistant to damage from mildew or mold, or degradation caused by bacteria.
The Alera Elusion Series Mesh Mid-Back Chair doesn’t have a lot of bells and whistles, but it is durable and comfortable for the average office worker.
- Ergonomic design with multiple adjustments
- Breathable mesh back for comfortable sitting
- Seat cushioning with fabric upholstery
- 5-Star base with double wheel casters for smooth movability
- Not suitable for tall big guys
- Limited tilting
SPACE Seating Professional AirGrid Dark Back and Padded Black Eco Leather Seat
The SPACE Professional AirGrid Eco Leather Seat delivers excellent value. It combines high-quality material, reliable performance, and a reasonable price tag in one attractive package.
Adjust the height of the seat with the one-touch pneumatic control. Angled arms are also height adjustable. If you prefer to do without the arms, simply leave them off during assembly of the chair.
The SPACE Professional AirGrid Eco Leather Seat incorporates 2-to-1 Synchro Tilt Control to allow reclining at up to a 170-degree angle. Adjustable tilt tension enables you to decide how much tension the back will have as you recline.
The SPACE Professional AirGrid Eco Leather Seat is constructed with cushy padded Eco Leather and built-in lumbar support. Mesh siding provides breathability. The gauge stitching and the best ergonomic office chairs touches indicate high-quality and durable construction.
The SPACE Professional AirGrid Eco Leather Seat will be a long-lasting chair for you. It has an amazing weight capacity of 350 pounds. The heavy-duty angled nylon base ensures strong support and a stable frame even when in recline mode.
The SPACE Professional AirGrid Eco Leather Seat is practical and durable. Despite its basic design and low price point, you can tell that no corners were cut in designing and manufacturing this chair. It is the best office chair under 200 dollars.
- Eco Leather seating with mesh breathable back
- One Touch Pneumatic seat height adjustability
- 2-to-1 Synchro tilt-tension adjustment
- Angled arms are height adjustable and soft PU padded
- Heavy Duty casters base with double wheel feature for a smooth glide
- Armrests aren’t sturdy enough
Serta 44186 Back in Motion Health and Wellness Mid-Back Office Chair
The Serta 44186 Back in Motion Mid-Back Office Chair is an innovative best ergonomic chair designed to improve your posture and relieve strain on your back and hips.
The Serta 44186 Back in Motion Mid-Back Office Chair incorporates a contoured adjustable lumbar support. Adjust the height of the padded armrests with the simple push of a button. Seat-side levers are ergonomically positioned, to control the pneumatic lift, tilt, and lock-out features.
The most unique feature of this comfortable computer chair is the Active Seating Technology. With this amazing engineering, the seat and lumbar will actually pivot with you as you move, for improved comfort and support.
You may find the sensation a bit strange at first, but you will learn to adjust by using proper body mechanics. Numerous health benefits include increased circulation and minimized strain and stress.
The Serta 44186 Back in Motion Mid-Back Office Chair is constructed with deep, layered body pillows for relaxed and low-strain sitting even over extended periods. The chair is covered with smooth eco-friendly bonded leather. The chair is designed to enhance breathability and airflow through the chair.
The fortified base is sturdy and durable. Move smoothly through your environment on heavy-duty 60mm casters.
The Serta brand is known for its quality, comfort, and style. You will find all three in abundance with the Serta 44186 Back in Motion Mid-Back Office Chair.
- This chair is heavily padded for ultimate comfort
- It offers full lumbar support, even when you move
- Assembly is easy
- It comes with a 1-year limited manufacturer’s warranty
- It is equipped with patented Active Seating Technology, which provides support and comfort while you move
- Easy to adjust the height, and it also has a tilt feature
- The bonded leather material can make you hot with long periods of sitting
- This chair is priced more expensively than most other computer chairs
Herman Miller SAYL Chair
The SAYL Chair from Herman Miller boasts an innovative and eco-friendly design. It is truly a work of art that also provides practical and durable support.
The SAYL offers three recline positions for your comfort, as well as tilt functionality. An optional lumbar back support is adjustable in height.
This best ergonomic office chairs for the computer is able to support weight up to 350 pounds. It incorporates the world’s first frameless suspension system. ArcSpan provides shape to the back and anchors the suspension fabric, and the Y-tower stretches the fabric and provides support, to deliver an unbelievably comfortable seat.
3D Intelligent suspension and PostureFit sacral support will tilt your hips forward so that your spine stays aligned in a healthy position.
The SAYL chair rolls easily and has a stable five-spoke base.
The SAYL Chair from Herman Miller is unlike any other chair on the market. Smart engineering transforms simple materials, to construct a heavy-duty, high-quality chair with less material and lower environmental impact.
- The unique design of this model will make it improve your office’s decor without being ostentatious.
- The Y-Tower and ArcSpan features will provide enough lumbar and back support to help maintain a good posture throughout the day
- The chair is made out of fewer materials than other models, making it more environmentally friendly
- The elastomer straps move with you, so they will provide adequate back support no matter how you stretch
- The chair’s arms are not adjustable and some people might consider that a problem
- The seat of the chair is not adjustable. The seat’s depth is set at 16”
- The chairs produced before February 2014 can squeak.
Ergohuman High Back Swivel Chair with Headrest
The Ergohuman High Back Swivel Chair is engineered with great attention to quality and the best in class components. You will see that it is very versatile to adjust to any body shape.
The list of adjustable components can go on and on. Set the back angle adjustment in 3 positions, as well as tension control to determine your optimal recline position. Raise or lower the seat height with the pneumatic control.
Raise or lower the armrests, or push them out of the way. The back, seat cushion, and the headrest all adjust to your particular needs. Contoured height-adjustable lumbar support is firm against your lower back. Seat depth adjustment is also available, as is a synchro-tilt mechanism.
The Ergohuman posture chair is engineered for exceptional extended comfort. The high back and headrest support your full body from top to bottom. The seat is extra wide to fit a more portly user.
Breathable mesh is necessary for a cool and comfortable session. The chair boasts an all-metal frame, providing strength and durability.
The Ergohuman High Back Swivel Chair pairs a professional, high-tech design with unsurpassed quality and versatility. The price tag might be a little higher, but this chair delivers excellent value for your dollar.
- Sturdy chair built with mesh material.
- Great adjustability features for better comfort.
- Best for a short person.
- It provides great support for long hours.
- Completely worth every single penny.
- Armrests don’t stick at a place and often cause bit issues.
- Headrest might be unreachable for a tall person.
Steelcase Leap Fabric Chair
The Steelcase Leap Fabric Chair packs in a lot of innovative features into a classic and attractive design.
Adjust the height of the seat with the pneumatic mechanism, and you can also adjust the lumbar support. Take advantage of a five-position recline angle.
You can customize the chair with controls for lower back firmness and upper back tension. Armrests offer four-way adjustment so you can set them in precisely the right position. Change the seat depth so that it fits your unique proportions.
The Steelcase Leap Chair is engineered with best-in-class LiveBack technology, which moves with you to mimic your position and your natural spine shape. A flexible seat edge relieves pressure on the back of your legs.
The proprietary Natural Glide System enables the seat to glide forward as you recline. You will feel free to move around and adjust your sitting position, leading to less strain and better circulation. The Steelcase Leap Chair is constructed to be breathable, balancing heat and moisture.
The Steelcase Leap Chair is well constructed with the best materials and meticulous engineering, for unsurpassed support and durable, long-lasting performance.
- It is highly adjustable
- Comes in multiple colors
- Great for long use
- Upholstery limited to fabric
GM Seating Ergolux Genuine Leather Executive Hi Swivel Chair
The Ergolux Executive Swivel Chair is constructed by GM Seating for superior support, style, and comfort. It is the best desk chair at this price range. Its highly versatile design enables relaxed and low-strain sitting throughout the day.
The Ergolux Executive Swivel Chair offers adjustable tilt tension and back recline angle. The remarkable lumbar support automatically provides exceptional support to your lower back.
Customize the seat height and depth to fit your proportions. The armrests adjust in three dimensions for optimal positioning. The chair is also equipped with an adjustable headrest.
The Ergolux Executive Swivel Chair features genuine top-grain leather and deluxe plush padding.
The Ergolux Executive Chair swivels through a full 360 degrees for maximum versatility. Durable nylon casters roll smoothly over a variety of surfaces.
Like a pilot’s cockpit, the Ergolux Executive Swivel Chair puts numerous controls right at your fingertips so you can experience supreme control and comfort. Enjoy the unsurpassed support and work as long as you like, without strain.
- Highly adjustable ergonomic features
- Unique adjustable lumbar support system
- 3D adjustable armrests
- Genuine leather that lasts a lifetime
- Sleek and classy look, slim form factor
- Ergonomically accurate to accommodate users of all heights
- Backrest is very flexible and supportive
- 100% genuine leather
- Difficult to handle the elements and fixtures without professional help
- It might take a while to get used to sitting on it
- Not well padded, so it is a bit firm
Herman Miller Aeron Task Chair
Herman Miller is one of the most prestigious names in ergonomic office furniture. They stand behind their products with an amazing 12-year warranty. The Aeron Task Chair has recently been updated with state-of-the-art functionality.
The Aeron Task Chair allows the user to adjust the seat height, seat angle, tilt, and adjustable armrests. Adjustable PostureFit SL pads provide lumbar support and stabilize the base of the spine.
The Aeron Task Chair automatically provides support as you shift positions. It tilts to move effortlessly and mimic your own body movements. Changing positions periodically is better for your circulation and your endurance. Cross-performance design means the chair accommodates a wide range of activities and work postures.
The seat and backrest are constructed with 8Z Pellicle elastomeric suspension. Eight zones of varying tension envelop you for precise ergonomic support. Also, it is breathable to maintain a cool temperature balance.
The Aeron Task Chair is meticulously designed for exceptional comfort and support. Invest in your comfort and health with one of the most well-known office chair brands.
- Aeron technology makes it a first class product owing to the genuine reduction in the back pains as well as stress levels
- The head cushion and the high back maintain a proper posture
- The different sizes of aeron are available making the chair accessible to a wide crowd
- 12 years warranty
- Affordable price
- Size charts for aeron office chair are not always accurate
Herman Miller Embody Chair
There are seven knobs, buttons, and levers that allow you to adjust every metric on this chair for optimal fit and comfort.
The pneumatic lift enables you to adjust the chair height. Adjust the tilt and tilt tension depending on your reclining preferences. Adjust the armrests both vertically and horizontally. Extend the depth of the seat to accommodate longer or shorter legs.
The Embody is engineered for the most optimal working posture, a working recline. The working recline posture reduces spine compression and pressure and has been shown to reduce fluid loss from discs. Lower pressure reportedly helps to stimulate blood and oxygen flow. Users report that sitting in this chair literally feels like floating.
The seat of the Embody chair looks like space-age technology. It has four layers, starting with plastic bands that provide suspension and then coils for support and springiness. Next, are hexagonal rings designed to shift with your weight. It is all topped with a layer of breathable mesh that promotes air circulation.
The most innovative feature of the Embody is a state-of-the-art backrest with a Backfit adjustment. Dynamic surfaces automatically conform as you move, distributing your weight evenly.
You will be able to stay in a neutral and balanced posture with a reduction in seated pressure. The Embody is engineered to be highly responsive to your micro-movements. Three zones of support reduce fatigue and strain throughout your body.
Herman Miller places a premium on quality and innovation and holds its products to the highest standard. Teams worked with more than 30 professionals in biomechanics, ergonomics, and physical therapy to develop this phenomenal chair, which is the most comfortable office chair on the list. The Embody from Herman Miller takes comfort and ergonomic support to the next level.
- Because the backrest on this office chair actually flexes back, you will find that there is less strain on your shoulders. You can comfortably use this office chair all day and not have back pain when you leave the office.
- Tilt system is advanced and gives you plenty of options to either use a limited free tilt or lock the backrest.
- Adjustable height, seat cushion and armrest width accommodates most sizes of user.
- Comfortable cushioning system offers good support and comfort.
- Stylish look means it will look great in your office.
- Due to the width and the mechanism of the arms on this office chair, it is difficult to move it around easily. In order to move the chair out of the way, it is easy to grab the arm to move it and as the mechanism isn’t as sturdy as some other models, when you sit back in the chair, you can find that you have to re-adjust the chair again so that you can sit comfortably again.
- One of the only other complaints with this office chair is that if you choose the lighter colored fabric, you will find that it looks dirty very quickly unless your clothes are always completely clean and you never eat at your desk. If you choose the darker fabric, there will be less visible staining.
Ergonomic Office Chair Buying Guide
Many white-collar workers and freelancers spend a lot of time in front of their computers. In order to reduce injury and enable good back health, it is critical to have an ergonomically designed office chair.
The best office chair for back pain will support your core and back, enabling good posture.
Features To Look For
The primary function of a good ergonomic chair is lumbar support. The lumbar spine has an inward curve, and sitting for long periods without support for this curve puts stress on the lower spine.
An ergonomic chair should have a lumbar adjustment so that you can get a proper fit and support to the lower back. Other features of the best computer chair include:
- Adjustable seat height by way of a pneumatic adjustment lever.
- Adjustable width and depth to allow you to fit the seat to your size.
- Adjustable forward and backward tilt give the option to recline or sit more upright.
- Comfortable seat material with plush padding for extended use.
- Adjustable armrests that have height adjustment as well as pivoting options, to get them out of the way when you type.
- Swiveling or rotating motions, so you can reach different parts of your workspace without strain.
- For a stable wheelbase, 5 spokes are preferred over 4.
- Quality casters that will glide freely in your workspace.
- A headrest is particularly recommended for users with neck issues.
Types Of Chairs
Besides the conventional style chair, some people with particular needs may opt for a more specialized style. Kneeling chairs encourage good posture by sliding the hips forward and making a straight line between the back, shoulders, and neck. A saddle ergonomic chair allows the legs to drop naturally on either side, creating a healthy and stable sitting position.
An exercise ball encourages movement and active sitting, in order to reduce stress and fatigue. But for most people, a conventional style ergonomic chair will be just fine.
When you get your ergonomic chair, make the necessary adjustments to have it fit your body and your workspace. Your seat should be set at a height that enables you to have your feet flat on the floor, with thighs parallel to the floor. Your knees should be slightly lower than your hips.
You should be able to sit with your back against the backrest, leaving about 2-4 inches of clearance for the backs of your knees away from the edge of the seat. Adjust the backrest so that the lumbar support rests in the right spot at your lower spine. Your arms should rest comfortably and your shoulders should be relaxed.
Your Ergonomic Workspace
An ergonomic chair is just one component of a comfortable and well-designed workstation. For a truly ergonomic experience, consider the following. Your feet should be flat on the floor, and your arms should be even with the height of the desk. Under the desk should be enough clearance for your knees, thighs, and feet.
A footrest might be helpful if you find that your feet are dangling once your height is correctly positioned in relation to the desk.
Your elbows should be bent at about a 90-degree angle when you type. Your keyboard should be 1-2 inches above your thighs. On your desk, the mouse and keyboard should be positioned close together.
Position the keyboard so that the B key is directly in front of you as you work. Your monitor should be slightly below eye level, about arm’s length away from where you are sitting. Anything you need to use a lot should be within arms’ reach.
Above all, you need to be mindful of your own body. An ergonomically designed workspace can only accomplish so much. Pay attention to your posture and try not to slouch.
Keep your elbows close to your body and keep your wrists straight. Your shoulders and back should be relaxed. Take frequent breaks to rest your eyes and move your body around.
Remember: an ergonomic chair is all about protecting your health. So don’t be afraid to invest a little extra in order to ensure a comfortable work environment and reduce the risk of injury. Do your research and determine the desk chair that will be most comfortable and supportive.
- 10 Best Handheld Vacuum Cleaners 2019
- 15 Most Powerful Best Pet Hair Vacuums 2019
- Best Espresso Machine Under $200