You can be a DIY, carpentry, electrical professional, or just a handyman hobbyist, but you know that an indispensable tool in any home, workshop, and toolbox is the Best Ratcheting Screwdriver. In addition, there is such a wide offer on the market that it can be difficult to decide on a specific one.
However, we have reviewed numerous models and we recommend the Bosch Power Tools Combo Kit as it is a very complete set that works with a lithium battery and includes 10 tips to respond to different types of work. For those who prefer hand tools, we recommend the Stanley 0-65-099 , a 6-piece set with an ergonomic handle that improves torque for easier use.
The Best Ratcheting Screwdriver in the market
Here we have collected the description and characteristics of the products considered as the Best Ratcheting Screwdriver of 2020, according to the assessment of users and buyers, in order to guide you in the purchase of your tools and make a successful investment.
- Battery: The performance of the screwdriver depends on the 3.6 volt lithium battery, which is powered by a micro-usb charger.
- Lighting: The screwdriver incorporates a powerful LED light to illuminate the work area.
- Ergonomics: The screwdriver design favors a comfortable grip to reduce fatigue during use in large projects.
- Storage: A briefcase is included to store the tool and all its accessories.
- Head: The head does not accept generic or other brands.
Many users recognize the ease and speed of using an electric screwdriver instead of a manual one, and with this Bosch kit the investment is more than complete, as it is a tool with 10 interchangeable tips.
This electric screwdriver Bosch highlights its ergonomic and lightweight design that favors a good grip to efficiently respond to all domestic projects with excellent performance. The performance of the tool is determined by its 3.6 volt battery that offers a speed of 215 revolutions per minute and a good duration, according to the opinion of several users who have rated this product as the Best Ratcheting Screwdriver.
Additionally, the kit is presented in a small briefcase that serves to transport it more safely and keep all the parts safe, along with the charger and the main unit.
With all these virtues, some buyers insist that this is the Best Ratcheting Screwdriver of the moment. That is why we summarize its characteristics in the form of pros and cons.
- Functionality: This set is for use with Torx screws, the application of which is aimed at electronic, computer and automotive industry devices.
- Grip: The clamping system is composed of a non-slip handle with smooth and rough areas for a firm grip.
- Sizes: The 6 pieces are of different sizes for use with Torx screws of varied diameters.
- Quality: The steel sheet has been manufactured from a metal alloy to increase its strength and reduce the possibility of breakage.
- Case: A case or case for storing screwdrivers is missing.
In computer systems and many cars you get screws with a 6-pointed star design and for which you need a Torx screwdriver. So, if you work in one of these areas, you should surely buy a set like Stanley's, which contains 6 pieces with different sized tips identified as T10, T15, T20, T25, T30 and T40 on the handle, so that it is Easy to recognize the one you need.
In this set of screwdrivers users recognize the good construction of each tool, with ergonomic handles that combine smooth and textured areas in the non-slip coating for a secure and firm grip.
For its part, the high quality steel blade is a chrome-vanadium alloy that provides greater strength and durability, reducing the breakage of the tip. For this reason, some users consider that this set is a good option to answer which is the Best Ratcheting Screwdriver.
Stanley's career as a tool manufacturer dates back to 1843, so its presence in families and industries has been maintained for generations, positioning itself as the Best Ratcheting Screwdriver brand, according to some customers. In the case of this Torx set we have distinguished some positive and negative aspects that we summarize above.
- Parts: This set consists of 11 precision screwdrivers, of which 6 are of the Philips type and 5 are flat-tipped.
- Identification: Each screwdriver has the corresponding diameter printed to quickly choose the one you need.
- Materials: The screwdrivers are made of stainless steel to increase their strength and durability. In addition, they have magnetized tips.
- Ergonomics: The screwdriver body is non-slip and the rotating sleeve favors its use for easier handling.
- Storage: The cloth bag does not adequately protect the parts of this kit, according to the comments of some users.
If you usually repair your glasses, watches, electronic devices or think to dedicate yourself to this work, in a professional way, you should know how important a Philips screwdriver is. Therefore, we recommend among the cheap and functional products of our selection this kit of 11 screwdrivers with magnetic tips, ideal for the repair of mobile devices that have very small screws.
This is precisely the utility of a precision screwdriver and with this kit you will not have one, but 11, for use with screws of different diameters and designs. It is worth mentioning that in this kit, 5 of the 11 screwdrivers are flat and range from 1.2 mm to 3.0 mm.
Of the Philips the same diameters are included, adding the 0.8 mm for its frequent use in electronics and other areas. You should know that all the pieces have been manufactured with stainless steel to prolong their resistance and durability.
This model stands out for being one of the cheapest, not forgetting to mention its functionality as it is a precision set widely used in electronics, watch repair, mobile devices, among others. Here we continue talking about its pros and cons.
- Parts: It is a basic kit that includes the most used sizes for small tasks, becoming an indispensable for your DIY box.
- Purpose: They are designed for domestic use, being very practical and convenient to use.
- Handle: The rubber handle offers a comfortable grip during the tightening of the screws.
- Price: It is a cheap and functional set, ideal to solve any inconvenience at home or take it in the car.
- Tip: A buyer comments that, after several months of use, the magnetism in the screwdrivers that he uses most has been lost, however, this can be solved.
In any toolbox you can not miss at least one flat screwdriver, but if you have several sizes it is a total success. For this reason, Silverline Tools offers its customers a set of universal screwdrivers, with 6 very useful parts.
This kit includes 3 flat screwdrivers of the following sizes: 3 x 75 mm, 5 x 100 mm, 6 x 100 mm. It also incorporates 3 Philips screwdrivers identified as No. 0 x 75 mm, No. 1 x 100 mm, No. 2 x 100 mm.
Each instrument is labeled on the handle with the screwdriver type and size. As for the design, it can be said that they are classic and functional tools, with a two-color rubber grip, while the tips are made with chrome-vanadium alloy and a black finish, in addition to being magnetized for better use.
This basic screwdriver set has good user opinions, so here we collect the most prominent in the form of pros and cons.
- Parts: A total of 7 screwdrivers with the most commonly used diameters in domestic projects are included.
- Organization: The screwdrivers come in a blister, organized by size. But, if you prefer you can also hang them through the hole in the handle.
- Labeling: On the handle of each screwdriver the number and type of tip is labeled, so you can identify just the one you need quickly.
- Grip: The conventional design of the handle favors an optimal and comfortable grip.
- Magnetism: The tips of these screwdrivers are not magnetic.
If you still lack some parts in your toolbox, you can try adding this JBM star screwdriver kit that offers 7 instruments of different sizes and diameters to adapt to the daily or occasional tasks in which these specific screws are involved.
With a classic two-color handle design, and a shape that favors grip, these screwdrivers are very useful and sturdy. On the other hand, the length of the tip allows to reach the screws of difficult access, being a benefit for many users.
It should be mentioned that each screwdriver has a hole that allows it to be hung on the wall to organize them better, or if you prefer you can keep them in the included blister that allows them to be stored safely.
This set can also be a good gift for Father's Day or for that friend who likes DIY projects, because its price is consistent with the quality offered by the manufacturer.
If you are interested in this product, you can see here a summary of its positive and negative characteristics.
- Cost-benefit: The set has an affordable price to be a special design, coupled with the quality of the tools.
- Use: The rotating bushing allows efficient twisting to work in tight spaces without complications.
- Compact: Screwdrivers do not take up much space for storage, in addition to reaching hard-to-reach places.
- Storage: The bag with velcro closure allows you to organize all the screwdrivers in one place.
- Utility: If you do not repair appliances often you may find it unnecessary to make this purchase.
Although they were not very common before, now there are more manufacturers who are using screws of particular heads to prevent users from repairing the devices by themselves. So we are sure that you will soon have to cross a screw with a triangle-shaped head, in which you cannot use a traditional tool. Therefore, having a triangular screwdriver between your DIY utensils can be a benefit for these specific situations.
In this sense Silverhill Tools has a set of 5 screwdrivers with this special design and of different sizes: TA14, TA18, TA20, TA23, TA27, whose manufacture in high quality steel offers greater durability.
For its part, the thin rod favors access to the screws that seem unattainable, at the same time both the ergonomic handle and the rotating sleeve allow the tool to be used efficiently.
To help you with your purchase, we summarize the positive and negative aspects of this set of triangular screwdrivers.
- Versatility: With this set you can perform preventive and corrective maintenance on your video game consoles and other electronic devices.
- Parts: The kit consists of 17 pieces in total between screwdrivers and other instruments for component cleaning, screen repair and much more.
- Magnetism: The screwdriver tips are magnetized for easier use.
- Case: A plastic case is included to store all the pieces in one place.
- Brush: A user comments that the brush does not seem of good quality for frequent use.
Nintendo consoles and other brands of electronic equipment use triwing type screws and other similar designs for which it is necessary to have precision tools, such as the triwing screwdriver that Keten includes in this complete set.
If you are a handyman and you like to disassemble your consoles to clean or repair them, it will be very useful this set that includes a screwdriver of the following numbers Y00, Y2.0, +2.0, other Torx of 4.5 and 3.8 , T10 and T6. There are 17 pieces in total that make up this repair kit, and each has a specific function. Additionally you will have a pair of spikes, suction cups and other products to disassemble screens, as well as tweezers to disassemble belts or reach hard-to-reach areas. On the other hand, it also stands out among the pieces a very useful brush to remove dust and a special cloth for the screens.
If you still have doubts to buy this set, you can check the list of pros and cons that we present below.
- Resistance: A user comments that after months of use, the pieces have no signs of deterioration, maintaining their functionality.
- Price: The number of pieces and the quality of the tools is well above the value paid, making this product a good investment.
- Utility: This set is functional for repairs in the car, motorcycles, bikes and much more for all the parts and extensions that it includes.
- Case: Several users agree that the quality of the case is improved, as this can be described as weak and the pieces move inside.
There are still those who do not know how to use a ratchet screwdriver correctly, however, they know that it is important to have this tool to tighten or loosen nuts and bolts, especially when it comes to repairing the car.
In this sense, the CICMOD kit has a total of 46 pieces of high quality, which would be ideal to give to any friend "handyman" or amateur mechanic, since it includes a set of hexagonal wrenches, screwdriver tips and other parts manufactured in Chrome vanadium, with a hardening and hardening treatment for a more solid, resistant and durable finish.
The seat of the tools is 6.3 mm, so they are designed for domestic use, and their versatility is that there is no need to have more screwdrivers because in a single kit you have numerous tips of different diameters to respond to everyday demands what screws and bolts adjustment refers to since it also includes the most common hexagonal vessels ranging from 4 to 14 mm.
- Utility: The use of the impact screwdriver helps with the stuck or rusted screws that need more force to exit than with a normal screwdriver.
- Pieces: Tips of different types are included to adapt to the needs that arise.
- Protection: The kit is protected in a plastic case for easy storage.
- Price: It has an affordable cost, resulting in a good purchase to complement our toolbox.
- Resistance: Some users comment that the interchangeable tips are not as resistant for frequent use.
To loosen rusty, deformed or very tight screws, an impact screwdriver is used, a hand tool that works through the conversion of energy generated by an impact on rotary energy.
In this regard, TEKTON presents a 13-piece kit that includes the impact screwdriver and numerous different types of tips such as flat, Phillips and Torx type. This set is presented in a plastic case, compact and resistant.
It should be noted that the use of this tool is focused on specialized workshops, but it never hurts to have it because you do not know when you will need it.
Because of the usefulness of this product and its affordable cost, it can be considered as the Best Ratcheting Screwdriver of value for money, which will always be of benefit in our toolbox, without needing to be a professional mechanic.
If you are preparing your toolset and do not know what screwdriver to buy, purchasing this TEKTON set can be a good investment. Here we summarize its pros and cons.
If you have a screwdriver with an adjustable mouth you only need this set of screwdriver tips that will allow you to take advantage of the versatility of your tool and perform different tasks.
The trajectory of the German brand Mannesmann supports the quality of the 32 pieces of 75 mm in length that make up this set, where you will find the most common tips as well as those of Allen and Torx to complement the usefulness of this product.
The tips are organized in a very compact plastic box that allows each piece to be in place for optimal storage. In summary, this set stands out for having a good value for money and is recommended by many users.
Guide to buying Best Ratcheting Screwdriver
If you have come this far it is because you are in search of a particular screwdriver or simply because you want to get started in DIY and you want to form your tool box in which this instrument will have an important place. To teach you what you need to know, we present this guide to buy the Best Ratcheting Screwdriver with the precise data to make your purchase a lasting investment.
Manual or electric
For centuries hand tools were the only ones we knew about, but, like everything in our history, they also evolved, and so, today, you will find a wide variety of power tools such as the screwdriver. This does not mean that the manuals are no longer used, on the contrary, there are still thousands of buyers who prefer to have full control over the torque when using the screwdriver.
For its part, we cannot fail to recognize the ease and benefits of this tool in its electric version. But, it must be identified that the power of the cordless screwdriver will depend on the power of its battery since it will determine the turning force of the equipment as well as its autonomy.
Deciding which one is best for you will depend on your preferences, budget and the activity you carry out daily and the use you will give to the screwdriver. Thus, you will be able to know whether to invest in a power tool or a manual screwdriver kit.
Regardless of the type of screwdriver you choose, ergonomics is a very important aspect, as the instrument must provide a firm and secure grip. This requires the handle to have a comfortable design and a non-slip coating. Usually, a rubber material with smooth, textured parts is used for a firm grip, even if your hand sweats a lot.
In this sense, the weight of the tool also influences the clamping. For this reason, the alloy of different metals has been used to make screwdrivers in order to make them lighter without affecting their strength and durability.
Consequently, when you start your comparison of screwdrivers, check the appearance of the handle, how thick it is and if the handle allows a firm grip, so that the torque you must apply is not excessive and you get effective results.
Screwdriver types and sizes
For those who believed that there were only two types of screwdrivers, the classic flat and the cross-tip, we have news: there are many more.
The reality is that over the years, manufacturers have decided to use screws of various sizes with grooves of different shapes. This with the purpose of limiting the access of any person to the repair of appliances, especially in household appliances, mobile and electronic equipment.
Consequently, there are dozens of slot types such as the triwing, torx, Allen, pozidriv, spanner, to name just a few and for which there is a specific type of screwdriver. In the same way, these are presented in different diameters and sizes, so the sets that include the most common types and diameters, as well as precision ones, sell very well.
However, for DIY enthusiasts or "handyman" skills, having a varied set will never be an extra expense, and it must be seen as an investment since they do not know when they will need those special tools.
Of course, in any house, there must be at least a kit of flat screwdrivers and Phillips for everyday use, as well as a ratchet with hexagonal sockets for the repair of cars, motorcycles, and bicycles.
In short, the type of screwdriver to buy will depend on your activities and the repairs you make frequently. This aspect, generally, does not affect how much the tool itself costs since there are special design kits at very low costs and whose quality is valued positively by users.
In the design of the screwdrivers, some features have been added to increase their functionality and versatility, this being the case for example of the screwdrivers with magnetized tip. This aspect is highly appreciated among users because it reduces the loss of the screws, as well as improves the removal of the screws when they are in places of difficult access, by using magnetic force to hold them together.
Also, when it comes to storage, you can get an inexpensive screwdriver that includes a hole in the handle so you can hang it in your tool area. Also, there are many kits that include a sturdy plastic case in which you can keep each piece in place to keep them organized and do not lose any tip or screwdriver.
On the other hand, the interchangeable tip screwdrivers are also very useful because they allow us to work with the same tool and only change the tip according to the screw to be loosened or tightened.
Frequently asked questions
Q1: How to magnetize a screwdriver?
Buy a strong magnet, at least ¼ pound or 100 grams of force, from a hardware store or the Internet. Clean the screwdriver well to remove any dirt and traces of moisture.
Then, take the magnet by one of its ends and put it in contact with the screwdriver from the handle to the tip, repeating this movement always in the same direction.
Drag the magnet around the screwdriver, rotating slowly until the entire surface is magnetized. This is a process that will test your patience if you want it to be effective, and in case the screwdriver is too long it starts to magnetize from the middle to the end.
Q2: How to use a screwdriver?
The first thing we must do is identify the type of screw to be tightened or loosened to choose the appropriate screwdriver, this implies knowing the type of slot and the size of the screw.
If you are going to tighten, you have to put the screw in the correct position and then insert the tip of the screwdriver into the slot to start pressing firmly, holding the handle of the tool and exerting the necessary force.
Movement, in this case, is clockwise. But, if you want to remove the screw, it is necessary to repeat the same procedure, only reversing the turns to the left until the screw is released from its place.
Q3: How to remove a screw without screwdriver?
If it's a flat screw or Phillips, you can use a butter knife as an alternative to the screwdriver. But, keep in mind that if the screw is too tight and the knife is not of good quality, it may happen that the tip is bent or the screw slot is deformed.
Another option may be to use pliers or pressure pliers if the screw head protrudes slightly from the surface. In this case, you can hold the sides of the head and turn counterclockwise until the screw is fully removed.
Q4: What is a flat screwdriver for?
With this screwdriver you can adjust or remove the screws that have a single slot and is one of the most common on the market, as it is available in different sizes depending on the size of the screws. In addition, those for use by mechanics and electricians are distinguished.
Q5: Which is better, electric or conventional screwdriver?
Many professionals prefer the advantages of an electric screwdriver in which the greatest effort is made by the rotary motor and the user only has to pull a trigger.
But, it is necessary to take into account the limitations of the network screwdriver due to the extension of the cable, unlike the wireless one that allows greater freedom of movement. However, the battery ones are limited by the autonomy of the battery and the charging time when carrying out large projects.
In this sense, if you are not a professional and you only need a toolbox for domestic use, it is convenient to have a manual screwdriver or a kit with the most used ones to make the necessary adjustments, without worrying about electrical connections or batteries.
We have reached the end of this review and you must have seen all the interesting screwdrivers available, as well as decided on the one you should buy.
Whether you are after an electric screwdriver or you just need a simple and magnetic screwdriver head, you can easily take your best pick from the list above.
You alone know your needs and the jobs you need to carry out, so the choice of the Best Ratcheting Screwdriver lies solely in your hands.